An afternoon at the dog park…

Much to my surprise, we woke this morning to about 2″ of snow on the ground!  There’s a rain barrel outside my kitchen window and the water on the top of it was frozen…   I knew Max would like to get out in the snow, so I sent him out into the walled back courtyard while I made coffee and started breakfast.

After he came in, I offered him his breakfast, and he basically turned up his nose at it! For several days, I’ve had to hand feed him one or the other of his daily meals so I could get food into him and give him his antibiotic.  This morning, with one pill left to go I said, “Screw it!  I’m not hand feeding you any more.  If you don’t eat this, you can eat if for dinner – and get your pill then, too!”

He did not eat.

I, however, had a lovely breakfast of fried egg, toast, Greek yogurt with banana and kiwi, and two cups of coffee.

For the first time since Max had his run-in with the pickup truck, I got my cello out of its case to practice.   Needless to say, it was horribly out of tune.  Took me about 15 minutes to get it back into playing shape.  I spent about 45 minutes playing scales, and trying to get good sound and the right notes out of it.  It felt good to be playing, and I’m planning to get back into my daily routine again.

photo of Max looking out living room window

Max, watching the street this morning…

photo of Max on couch looking back at me

Can we go out now? Please???

Later – around 2:30 – I invited Max to go with me to the High Desert Animal Shelter about 2 miles from where we are staying so I could give them the portable crate that he has outgrown.  They were extremely grateful to have it, and I am happy to have lightened the load a bit in Tumbleweed!

After that, we headed over to the dog park for some play.  I had his favorite ball, and a new tug toy, which he was most anxious to have.  When we pulled up there were 6 or 8 dogs and their owners in the park, and I just didn’t dare let him in there with his still-healing wounds exposed.

So, we drove back here and got his red sweatshirt that I bought solely to protect those wounds.  I cut the hood off so nobody would have an unfair advantage (holding), and got it on him in the car, and we went back to play.

Once I released him, he was out of the car like a shot and at the gate ready to go in and get acquainted!  I had the ball in my pocket, and was prepared to leash him up and take him out if things seemed too rough.

That was not the case.

There were two dogs his size, a dachshund, a small white terrier, an Aussie, and a medium sized terrier, and they were all friendly, playful, well-behaved dogs.  Max was beside himself with joy at being in the park with a gang of new friends, and soon was leading them a merry chase!

After about 1/2 hour, the Aussie and terrier left with their owner; shortly after that, a guy came in with two miniature pinschers and a 10-month-old English Mastiff named Lola.  Lola weighs 119 pounds already, but was a gentle, delightful addition to the group.

I met a woman I met last year when we were here – Jane lived in Portland for many years, and she and her husband moved to Silver City to get away from the Maine winters.  Her two dogs – Jeremy and a girl whose name I forget, were well-matched with Max, and they had a good time playing together.

We stayed about an hour and a half, playing ball, running with the other dogs, and generally having a grand old time (Max, that is.  I spent my time talking and watching, occasionally going from one end of the park to the other to keep an eye on the play).  When I leashed Max up to go home, he walked willingly with me to the gate and hopped into the car.

He was pretty wiped out from his first real play session since before the accident.  When we came in, he headed to the kitchen for water, and was sidetracked by breakfast – still sitting in his bowl on the floor.  I guess fresh air and exercise really do build an appetite, because he stood there and ate it all, licking the bowl clean when he was done!

I’d say my guy is definitely on the mend, and I’m looking forward to daily sorties to the dog park – sweatshirt at the ready!

photo of stirfry

And for my friend, Carolyn, who wants some foodie posts like last trip: Dinner Saturday night – broccoli, garlic, onions, tofu stir fry over Jasmine rice. It was wonderful to make dinner after three weeks of travel!


About Maureen Farr

I am a graphic and web designer – and the publisher of the print version of Arts Guide, a free guide highlighting the arts, dining, events, and more on the coast of Maine. In addition, I am a visual artist working in mixed media and encaustic, as well as creating found object jewelry. I am currently at work revising a short novel that I wrote as a participant in the 32nd Annual 3-Day Novel Contest.
This entry was posted in Coffee, Friends along the way, New Mexico, playing with a poodle, Silver City, traveling in a Honda Element, Traveling with a dog, Traveling wth a poodle and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to An afternoon at the dog park…

  1. Marilyn Wheeler says:

    So you really did bring the cello – good for you! (It seems you brought snow as well!)

    • Maureen Farr says:

      Marilyn, I did bring the cello Schlepping it in to the hotel each night and out each morning! yeah, well the snow was all melted by noon!

  2. hank says:

    aww!! i was missing you. now i’ll read. just sayin…

  3. hank says:

    you can cook for me anytime! very glad he’s playing and EATING!
    we miss you. keep posting. we all love your blog!

    • Maureen Farr says:

      and thanks for this message too. He’s one worn out pup tonight though. snuggled up to me on the loveseat – which you’ll notice from the photos of him on it, is not very big. Especially when a large 65 pound dog is stretched out on it! I am perched on the edge I will cook for you when I come back. let’s get Lori and have dinner and music.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s