Lucky Dog…

Our early morning walk turned into a really bad scene in the heartbeat it took for Max to slip his collar and start racing around on the grass.

First off, let me say the he is fine.  Keep calm and read on.

We’re staying at a La Quinta on a quiet Mall access road near St. Augustine.  (Advantage #1)  So, Max and I were out walking around 8AM when he got goofy, started running in circles (still on-leash) and jumping at me.

Then, he slipped his collar and continued racing around in big circles.  He ran toward me and I thought he was going to come to a screeching halt and let me leash him up.  Instead he kept right on going – out into the road…

As my daughter likes to jokingly say, “It’s all fun and games until somebody gets hurt.”  This time was no joking matter.

He was hit by a small pickup truck, and I was sure he was dead.  I ran screaming over, and he was pinned on the ground in front of the left front tire, whining.  The guy backed up, and I got down with Max to comfort him.

While the driver called 9-1-1, I sat on the ground and Max laid his head on my leg.  I petted him, and checked him as much as I could – all the while afraid that something was broken, or that he would die on me at any moment.

After about 5 minutes, he lifted his head and raised himself to a partial upright – still lying on the ground.

When the police arrived, the officer said she could drive me to my car, but not to the vet.  OK – what then??? I’m thinking.

The driver of the pickup used his cellphone to locate an emergency vet and gave us the address.  I asked Max if he could get up and he did!  All four feet on the ground, no broken legs.  A little shaky, but he walked to the police car and climbed into the back seat.

When we got to the hotel, I had to go up and get my purse and car keys.  He didn’t want to get down out of the police car, so I picked him up and carried him to Tumbleweed and laid him on his bed in the back.

It was a 20 minute drive to the emergency vet, but I had called ahead and they were ready and waiting for us when we arrived.  Again, I had to lift him out of the car, but he walked in under his own power (slow, but on his own).

Dr. Jones checked him over, and much to my relief said she’d like to take a chest X-ray since that was where he was hit.  She came back about 15 minute later and showed me the pictures – NO INTERNAL BLEEDING, NO BROKEN RIBS, HEART OKAY.

He has a couple of cuts on his head – one needed stitches – and some road rash, so they kept him to clean those and stitch him up. I really believe that his size and his youth were two important advantages for him today.

I had a call from Dr. Jones about 2:30 saying he was doing fine, but “sleeping off the anesthesia,” and to call later to see if he was awake enough to walk out on his own. She had to stitch two wounds on his head, and she says he has “a funny haircut,” to which I replied, “That’s OKAY!  He’s alive, and that’s all that matters today!”  (I’ll post a photo later after I pick him up…)

All in all, one helluva Lucky Dog.  We may have to change his name…


About Maureen Farr

I am a graphic and web designer – and the publisher of the print version of Arts Guide, a free guide highlighting the arts, dining, events, and more on the coast of Maine. In addition, I am a visual artist working in mixed media and encaustic, as well as creating found object jewelry. I am currently at work revising a short novel that I wrote as a participant in the 32nd Annual 3-Day Novel Contest.
This entry was posted in St Augustine Florida, traveling in a Honda Element, Traveling with a dog, Traveling wth a poodle and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Lucky Dog…

  1. Marilyn Wheeler says:

    How terrifying! *sob*
    But he’s pretty much okay, and the driver was as helpful as could be, and you did all the right things. Max is resilient; let’s hope he has no more than a headache in the morning.
    Too much excitement!

    • Maureen Farr says:

      Thanks Marilyn. I agree – WAY too much excitement. He’s not as drunk as he was a while ago according to the vet, and I’ll pick him up in an hour.

  2. I am SO glad Maximilian Rufino Farr is okay–my poor baby brother! Maya and Jon both send their love and hope that he’s on the mend soon! We all love you and Max! xoxo Cin

    • Maureen Farr says:

      Me too, Cindy! What a day. We’re staying here at least tonight and maybe tomorrow night – once he’s feeling more like himself we’ll head west for Silver City.

  3. Kit Lane says:

    I am so sorry to hear about Max, but so, so happy to hear that he’s ok. What a nightmare for you!!

  4. Brenda says:

    Oh, Maureen, what a story. My heart was in my mouth the entire time. But it has a happy ending, thank goodness. The people involved sound decent and helpful. Hope you and Max sleep well tonight. Whew. Love, Brenda

  5. jane says:

    So Glad he is okay. best to you both, Jane

  6. hank says:

    phew. glad you’re both ok. that must have been horrible for you (and max as well, of course). what do you suppose got into him? he’ll be a bit wiser for this, i’m gonna guess


    • Maureen Farr says:

      Thanks Hank. It was one of the scariest things that I’ve ever experienced. I was sure he was going to be killed. Great vet. He looks like he’s been run over by a truck (which he HAS).

  7. sarah doremus says:

    OH MO, I just read this email now and as I started my heart was in my throat. I went ahead and read todays and breathed a sign if relief. He is a lucky boy. Give him a hug for me and one for you too.

  8. too heavy lost my big loolie stopped reading,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

  9. Pingback: A little background… | Living with Max the Poodle

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s