Eastern time…

This morning at 9:38, we crossed from Alabama to Georgia – and re-entered the Eastern Time Zone! (And lost another hour.) We’re back on the East Coast… and I’m having mixed feelings. On the one hand, I am happy to be in the same time zone as 95% of my friends (and family). On the other? My inner gypsy is crying out, “Not yet! It’s surely not time to be going home. Is it?

Memphis was a disappointment for a few reasons. Number one was lack of dog-friendliness. Number two: Beale Street felt like another big carnival, with people walking around with giant plastic glasses of beer and mixed drinks (shades of Las Vegas all over again). I did go back in to Beale Street Saturday night to see if we could eat dinner at Alfred’s on their outdoor patio.

It was looking promising. The woman who greeted us – and especially loved Max (but who doesn’t?) – told me to pick a table and someone would be right out to take my order. We sat near the entrance for over twenty minutes, watching the carnival stream by, and waiting for someone – anyone – to come and acknowledge us, take a drink order, maybe even a food order.

Lots of people came by to talk to Max. Nobody came to take an order. I finally left – muttering and cursing under my breath once again – and drove back to our hotel. As we were leaving, the sun was setting over the other side of the river, and that cheered me up a bit. Memphis. Famous ribs. Southern hospitality? G-R-R-R-R-R…

Sunday morning, we left early and headed south for Birmingham, Alabama. As I drove, I was soothed by the green landscape, in many ways reminiscent of home. Not a lot of pine trees, but all the deciduous trees were leafed out in fresh, clean spring green. Cows and horses grazed in green pastures. The medians were green, with swaths of pink, purple, and red flowers. There were fields of flowering mustard – vibrant yellow carpeting the green.

While this isn’t a spectacular landscape photo, it will give a sense of what I saw as we headed south into Alabama:

Looks like spring to me…

After we checked into our hotel (early afternoon for a change), I went in search of a Super Wal-Mart so I could get Tumbleweed’s oil changed. While we waited, Max and I played some fetch in a grassy area behind the auto shop. He had a great time – played until he decided he needed a rest!

Max takes a break in the shade while playing ball in Birmingham.

Today, we left early for the third morning in a row, intending to drive to Macon, Georgia for lunch and a little break, then continue on to Savannah. It would be one of our longest days of driving, but I decided it would be worth it – and it was! Using yelp.com on the iPhone, I found Macon’s off-leash dog park, and it was The Best! As I write this, I can’t believe I didn’t take a photo…

Fenced, green grass, doggy water fountain, a little stream running through the middle, with two arched footbridges, shade trees with benches, and – best of all – an agility course. There was only one other dog there when we arrived, and the two boys hit it off right away. Max was off and running with Cooley all over the park.

Cooley would run down the bank and across the stream while Max ran over the bridge. Back and forth, up and down, in and out of the water – the two had a great time. While they played, I checked the iPhone for a place to eat, and found Nu Weiner on Cotton Avenue, a hot dog place that’s been in the same location since 1913! I found it easily, and went in to get a hot dog and fries – darn good, but still not up to the standard set by Skippy’s of Winston, NC!

Back in the car, we headed east for Savannah, arriving about 5:30. I wish I could put up an interactive scratch and sniff of the fragrance in the air here when we stepped out of the car. Warm air, soft breezes, sunshine, and the most amazing perfume of some flowering shrub or tree – delicate, sweet, a-a-a-a-h.

My Frida Kahlo shrine, with some sweet little wildflowers I picked by the side of I-75 on the way to Savannah. They look like miniature verbena to me.

When I was checking in, the woman at the front desk was explaining to a couple about the trolley tours of Savannah. Pickup at the hotel, go into town, have a one-hour tour, then hop on and off the trolley all day – returning back to the hotel on any one of three return trips (the last at 4PM).

“Can dogs go on the tour? I bet not,” I said.

“Oh yes they can! As long as they’re friendly…”

“That’s all he knows how to be!”

So, tomorrow at 8:45 we will board a trolley for town. I think we’re in for a marvelous day.


About Maureen Farr

I am a graphic and web designer – and the publisher of the print version of Arts Guide, a free guide highlighting the arts, dining, events, and more on the coast of Maine. In addition, I am a visual artist working in mixed media and encaustic, as well as creating found object jewelry. I am currently at work revising a short novel that I wrote as a participant in the 32nd Annual 3-Day Novel Contest.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Eastern time…

  1. hank says:

    again, very nice.
    and how bout the fragrance. track that down.

  2. Lori says:

    Hey, Momo, Hope you do have a marvelous day… you guys deserve it! If you come across the Shrimp and Grits, it’s delicious! Take care, L

  3. Lynne Magee says:

    Maureen, I love your attitude. Many of us, after the disappointments and misfortunes you’ve had, would be hell-bent for HOME, but that gypsy isn’t going to let your trip be ruined! Have fun!

    • Maureen Farr says:

      Thanks Lynne. You know, we have seen so many amazing things, met so many wonderful people (even briefly, and sometimes only through the blog), and had mostly fabulous experiences. I can’t let a little ole car wreck get me down! OK – it wasn’t SO little, but…

  4. Boy, can’t believe they never waited on you at that restaurant–that is inexcusable, huh?

    Glad you’re in Savannah though! Have fun there and give Max a pat on the head and a big hug for me! love, Cindy

    • Maureen Farr says:

      Cindy – not only did THAT restaurant NOT wait on me, but it happened again last night here in Savannah! I went to (of all places!) a Macaroni Grill and was seated in a black hole. Waitress went to tables all around me, never even looked my way or acknowledged that I was there. I finally walked out of there too!

      Max sends you a great big slurpy doggy kiss!

  5. might be flowering dogwood that you’re smelling…they’re in bloom everywhere down here right now! you won’t believe how pretty our town is compared to when you were here in january. we’ve been to skippy’s twice since you left and it’s still awesome 🙂

  6. Ellie Adams says:

    Hope your day in Savannah was lovely!

  7. Iana CraneWing says:

    On a positive note to your Inner gypsy . . . it is gorgeous here on Deer Isle. Many green tips and the great drum roll of spring has begun!
    You will be welcomed by many and you can always return to the road if you need.
    Love and welcome back soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s