San Francisco, part two…

Thursday morning was the rainiest day yet. Bill has a membership to the De Young Museum, so I decided a rainy day was a good museum day. Leaving Max snug in the car, I went in and had an enjoyable two hours exploring the various collections.

The main entrance to the de Young Museum in San Francisco on a rainy morning.

The de Young has a fabulous collection of Inuit and Eskimo art as you first enter – from historic to contemporary; followed by a an eclectic gallery collection including an installation by Kiki Smith, glass by Lino Tagliapietra, Dale Chihuly, and Dan Daily, plus a host of other artists whose names were not familiar to me. In addition, they have an extensive collection of African and Oceanic art and artifacts, American paintings, textiles, and a current exhibition of landscape photography titled Developed and Undeveloped: Landscape Photography, through March 20th.

This intricate mosaic figure was from around 600 A.D. Mexico, and was only about six inches high.

A stunning Lino Tagliapietra piece.

I think this was titled “Fido’s Garden Grows.” Wouldn’t you recognize Dale Chihuly’s hand in this one?

This figure stand about two feet tall. She’s cast glass and so stunning! I’m sorry that I didn’t make a note of the artist…

This amazing piece, titled The Spine and Tooth of Santo Guerro (Saint War), by Al Farrow incorporates deconstructed guns, bullets, shot, steel, glass, bone, tooth, and 15th century fabric.

I loved this piece by Dan Dailey.

Knowing that Max was fine, I went to the museum café and had lunch looking out at the sculpture garden. My meatloaf sandwich and fries were, without doubt, the best food I’ve ever eaten in a museum café, rivaling anything I’d get at a café anywhere in the city. Did I take a photo? Oh no, I forgot… Served on a big soft bun, with lettuce, bacon, and cheese, and accompanied by a fistful of crispy shoestring fries, it was a work of art in itself.

Hover II, by El Anatsu of Ghana is comprised of thousands of flattend aluminum bottle caps, conneted with copper wire to resemble kente cloth, a traditional Asante or Ewe royal cloth worn during social, political, and religious occasions.

Closeup view of Hover II.

Feeling a little guilty for leaving Max so long, I saved him a quarter of my sandwich. When I got to the car, he was glad to see me, and more than happy to accept my peace offering of nibbles of meatloaf and bacon (no bun).

Accidental self-portrait at the de Young Museum, San Francsico…

Looking at a map of Golden gate Park, I located an off-leash dog park, and the car was already headed in the right direction. So, off we went in search… and search… and…

Finally, I spotted dogs frolicking off through the trees – but, how to get there? After missing the turn, I decided to exit the park at 43rd Street and backtrack to the 36th Street entrance to try again. Success! Found the road through the trees to the parking area – and there was the barking area!

There were at least 30 dogs running around – the whole field looked pretty muddy, and I wondered if I needed my head examined. Then I thought of how much Max loves to run, and how much he needs to run, and decided even if I had to take him back to Pawtrero it would be worth it.

I took his Chuckit (ball thrower) and let him out to run to the gate. Once inside, it was a free-for-all with my happy boy loping in big circles with a pack of about eight dogs in pursuit. When he was ready, we started playing ball, and soon he looked like he was wearing mud boots. He was – but they were literally mud!

When it was time to leave, we hosed off his feet, let him drink from the hose as a reward for the foot cleaning, dried him off as best as we could, and went off in search of hot chocolate…

When in San Francisco, where else but Ghirardelli Square? I easily found available metered parking spaces close to Ghirardelli (and should have realized WHY they were so available). Armed with quarters, I began feeding the meter. YIKES! Three dollars for an hour – FIVE MINUTES per quarter! Oh well, I was committed.

Ghirardelli wasn’t too crowded, and I was able to tie Max at the door and step inside to order a hot chocolate. While most people were fine with going past a politely sitting Max, one woman said, “Why don’t you put him over there? Not everyone likes dogs, you know.” If he was jumping on people I would agree, but he simply sat obediently waiting so – tough, lady!

My hot chocolate came was brought to me on the terrace, and Max and I sat and people-watched while I drank it.

Of course, this being you-know-where rain started sprinkling us when I was about halfway through my cup. I put the hood up on my rain slicker, Max was wearing his new Ruffwear all-weather vest, and we ARE from Maine so we know weather. I finished the chocolate, we headed back to the car and came home.

All in all, a good day.… And the bonus was getting reconnected through the internet!


About Maureen Farr

I am a graphic and web designer – and the publisher of the print version of Arts Guide, a free guide highlighting the arts, dining, events, and more on the coast of Maine. In addition, I am a visual artist working in mixed media and encaustic, as well as creating found object jewelry. I am currently at work revising a short novel that I wrote as a participant in the 32nd Annual 3-Day Novel Contest.
This entry was posted in California, Eating out on a road trip, Ghirardelli hot chocolate, museums, On the Road, San Francisco, Traveling with a dog, Traveling wth a poodle and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to San Francisco, part two…

  1. Nice! Glad to hear you made it to Ghiradelli!!!! Yum!

  2. Gandalf says:

    Oy, oy, the waves of nostalgia over Ghirardelli [note spelling, Cindy ;-)] which I remember from before it was so fancified. Put me in mind, also, of Dom Dimaggio’s
    restaurant where I must have eaten a half dozen dungeness crabs over the years before it closed. I might have lived in San Francisco had I decided to pursue an opportunity or two I was offered, but at the time I was too caught up in the heady atmosphere of Washington, DC. If you’re feeling flush and the Blue Fox restaurant still exists (oops, just googled it and it’s gone!. Too bad) . . . Well, time marches on. Envy, envy, envy.

  3. Diana Richardson says:

    Looks and sounds fabulous.
    We need to know when you will arrive Portland!!!

    • Maureen Farr says:

      We are planning to stay here for the weekend – although it may be raining, in which case I am going to start moving north… I expect to be there by wed or thursday if I leave here monday. will let you know if it’s later than that.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s